How to backup and restore OpenERP database ?
There are two methods to perform backup and restore operation for OpenERP database.
Lets go through step by step:
Method 1: Using GUI
Follow the steps to create backup and restoring database.
1) Goto Login page,
2) Click on Manage Databases,
3) There are various options available on left side bar.
4) Follow the screens displayed below.
Method 2: Using command prompt (Using PostgreSQL)
It is advisable that if backup has been taken from command prompt then restoring should be from command prompt only.
Follow the screen steps for creating backup and restore.
1) Executing following command will create a blank database.
Command: createdb –encoding=UTF-8 testdb
2) Executing following command will create a backup of database : openerp_61
Command: pg_dump -f backup_openerp_61 openerp_61
3) Execute following command will restore your db into blank database created in step 1.
Command: psql testdb < backup_openerp_61
Problem during restoring from command prompt :
Upto here, assume that everything is working in the same PC. Now let say, someone is trying to restore database using command prompt for which, the database has been backed up from another PC.
Please check following screenshots.
In above case, You can see the error message `role “john” does not exist`. It means that database has been backed up from another PC having name is ‘john’.
So now, in this case there are two solutions to restore this database as follows.
1) Either you can open dump file, and change the role name wherever you find name ‘john’ as your role displayed in following screen. Here I have changed name as ‘navrang’ in place of ‘john’.
2) Another option is, if dump file is too long to change role/owner name, then you can create a user in your PC named ‘john’ so it will work as it is.
And this way we can restore our database.
- How to drop the database in OpenERP? (intellectseed.wordpress.com)
- How to create database in OpenERP? (intellectseed.wordpress.com)
- How to install OpenERP 6.1 and OpenERP 6.0 on Windows Vista and Windows 7 in 10 Minutes (intellectseed.wordpress.com)
- Maintain log of Product sale price in OpenERP… (intellectseed.wordpress.com)
Well done, thank you. This work for me. Of course there are more ways, but these two methods are basic. I would like to have an automatic backup also. There is a module in OpenERP called auto_backup for this. But I can’t get
auto_backup module is also working for version 6.1. You have to provide information like host name (default is localhost) where openerp server is running, xml-rpc port (default 8069), database name for which you want to take backup and direcory path where you want to store backup file and save that record. There is schedular working behind it which will take backup once in a day.
whoah this blog is fantastic i really like studying your articles.
Keep up the good paintings! You understand, lots of
persons are hunting round for this info, you can
aid them greatly.
Usually I do not read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this
write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me.
Thank you, quite great article.